By Avi Moyal
Krav Maga techniques differentiate from other martial arts methods in a few aspects: first and far most by their practicality to implement under real – time conditions. The logic and general approach of Krav Maga derives from the teaching methodology and training system, allowing the trainee to make use of their natural instincts. KM levels are divided into 4 sections: Practitioner Levels (1-5) ; Graduate Levels (1-5) ; Expert Levels (1-5) ; and Master Levels (1-3)
All krav maga techniques are preformed according to main Krav Maga principles.
- Avoidance, prevention, escape and evasion.
- Handling throws and falls to all directions and angles.
- Attacks and counterattacks, performed to all targets, distances and directions and in all rhythms. Executed from all positions and postures. Use of all sorts of common objects for defensive purposes.
- Defending all unarmed attacks: punches, strikes and kicks. Releases from all sorts of grabs and holds.
- Defending all armed attacks and threats: knives, sharp objects, sticks and other blunt objects; of all kind of firearms.
- Dealing with attacks coming from all possible directions and places; Whether performed by a single or multiple attackers; at all possible locations: confined or open areas; On all types of grounds; When free or in limited space of movement; While standing, on the move, sitting down, laying down on the back, side or facing down etc.
- Physical and mental control and disarm.
- Krav Maga techniques Prepare the trainees to function in all circumstances and fighting environments, according to their needs, job descriptions and probable risks.
Keeping those in mind, there are several ways to divide the Krav Maga system into groups.
Separates the krav maga self defense system into five main designated sectors:
- Law Enforcement
- VIP Protection
- Customized Krav Maga
Defines Krav Maga techniques according to timeline of an attack into families of defenses, Attacks, Counterattacks, Releases and Late releases. From all solution we had to develop during our global training we gather them up in to a few groups among which you will find:
- Release from hair grabs
- Release from bear hugs
- Release from Arm lock
- Release from Chokes
- Release from Shirt grabs
- Defense against Hand attacks
- Defense against Leg attacks
- Defense against knife threat
- Defense against stick threat
- Defense against kick threat
- Defense vs. punch and it goes on…
Here is an unfortunate example of a bad decision and bad execution of defense. According to Krav Maga principles the correct decision to be made in this scenario firstly tactical. This attack took place in a convenience store, meaning anyone can get inside. Therefore the attack could not be avoided.
The first decision the cashier had to make was whether to give up the cash or not. No doubt he shouldn't have resisted, as the only purpose is to survive the robbery. However, If you do decide to resist you must go about it according to Krav Maga principles. Here are a few elements to consider:
- Choose the correct timing to act, which in this case was OK.
- Choose the appropriate principle of defense, which in this case is "grab and push the gun then counterattack". In this filmed attack body defense was missing. Had it been implemented in the correct manner the gun would not be moving from side to side. Also, a simultaneous counter attack would have weakened the assailant as in any armed attack whoever is holding the weapon has an obvious advantage.
- Last, once you decide to act never give up or back down In order to implement a correct defense proficiently there is crucial importance to analyzing case studies such as done here, as well as practice real life simulations as often as possible.
Please use the correct defense techniques as shown in G5.